Why Cambiare? Why now?
It seems to me there is a choice. Sit around at Austin Java and talk about the kinds of theatre people should be making or get out and make it yourself. Our answer is Cambiare Productions. A laboratory to create and develop the theatre we wish people were making. Not a repertory company (not yet), not a group of indie artists pretending that they are A.C.T., Berkeley Rep, or Steppenwolf, just a group of people trying to tell stories the way they wish people would tell stories unto them.
Why now? Why not? Can you think of a time in history that didn’t need its story tellers? Jesters or Cassandras (or Tiresias’ I suppose) we need the voices of our creators to be added to the hue and cry of the marketplace.
In that spirit, I propose the following standards:
- Do not make a production solely for the sake of making a production.
- Always be open to collaboration and co-production with other groups.
- Theatre is not greater than dance is not greater than music is not greater than film is not greater than visual art.All are tools for telling stories. None should be ignored.
- Technology is a tool, not the art itself.
- Lack of money is not an excuse; it’s an opportunity for innovation.
- Always ask, “What’s in it for an audience?”
- Creating theatre is art. Producing theatre is a business; the two should mix as little as possible.
- Let them say no, don’t do it for them. Always ask.
- Reach > Grasp. Take the risk.
- Singular Voices. Open Minds.